The African Development Bank Group(AfDB) is currently seeking to recruit young Nigerians for a job opportunity in their financial institution.
African Development Bank Group (AfDB) – Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
Interested persons should kindly go through the list of vacancies(Job Positions), take note of the requirements and apply if eligible for any of the positions.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Chief Gender Officer, RDGN2
Location: Tunis, Tunisia
Position N°: 50083097
- The Vice-Presidency for Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery is responsible for operational relevancy, efficiency and effectiveness of the Bank Group’s operational programs, and activities. The Vice-Presidency Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery will ensure that the Bank operates successfully across its Regional Members Countries and will oversee the full implementation of all aspects of the Bank’s Regional Directorates.
The Hiring Department/Division
- The mission of the Agriculture, Human and Social Development Division is to contribute to the Bank’s efforts to reduce poverty and promote sustainable development in Regional Member Countries. It does so by (1) contributing to development of country and regional strategies and building sector knowledge and (2) focusing on project/programme origination and delivery for approval of operations defined under the High 5 priorities.
- The Human Capital, Youth and Skills Development Department, within the Agriculture, Human and Social Development Complex will spearhead the achievement of the High 5s on “Improving the Quality of Life of People in Africa” and contribute to the other High 5s. The Department has two divisions (i) Education, Human Capital and Skills Development Division, which focuses on scaling-up of Bank’s support to education, human capital and employment/livelihoods; and (ii) Public Health, Security and Nutrition Division focusing on strengthening health systems and nutrition for human wellbeing. It also hosts various pertinent initiatives an
- Within the Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery Complex, the Bank has five (5) Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery Directorates, one in each region of Africa: North, South, East, West, and Central. Each Regional Directorate is headed by a Director General and is staffed with the relevant sectoral functions and administrative capabilities for rapid delivery of services to client countries. The Regional Directorates provide overall strategic direction to country offices within the regions and are responsible for the Bank’s operations, business development, project management and overall effective delivery of the Bank’s High 5s :‘Light Up and Power Africa’, ‘Feed Africa,’ ‘Industrialize Africa,’ ‘Integrate Africa,’ and ‘Improve the Quality of Life for the People of Africa.’
- The Chief Gender Officer will participate in the implementation of activities in the North Africa Region for the achievement of the High 5 : “Improving the Quality of Life of People in Africa .
- He/She will lead the gender agenda in the North Africa region and provide technical support to the Bank Group’s operational activities to mainstream Gender in the operations proposed for Bank financing in North Africa.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the supervision of the Regional Sector Manager RDGN2, the incumbent will:
- Ensure the mainstreaming of gender issues at all stages of the project cycle, from planning through evaluation and ensure that all operations in the North Africa Region have been assessed against the gender marker system;
- Collaborate with other staff in the Department and in other departments in the North Africa Regional Hub to ensure the incorporation of gender issues in its work;
- Participate in Working Groups and Peer Review to ensure that projects documents prepared by the Department adequately address gender issues;
- Participate in operational missions and the drafting of project documents in order to promote the implementation of the Bank’s gender policy, ensure that women are consulted and enhance the level of gender analysis of program/project;
- Support the inclusion of gender in all program/project activities especially gender balance in project staff teams, training, and beneficiaries;
- Assess the potential gender impact of proposed projects; conduct or draft Terms of Reference for gender assessments and analysis and propose mitigating measures as required;
- Work with Task Managers to develop innovative approaches to women in development (WID) stand-alone projects and projects with gender components;
- Assist in developing indicators to monitor the gender impact of Bank supported projects;
- Review on-going projects with regard to gender impact and propose remedial measures as appropriate;
- Collect and make available to Regional Departments (RD) staff gender-disaggregated data and other gender-related information on each of these countries (for example in the form of country-level “Gender Profiles”);
- Liaise with key gender-related NGOs, multilateral organizations and national institutions in countries served by the RD for purposes of information-sharing, networking and operational collaboration;
- Initiate specific studies related to gender and development for the purpose of project formulation, supervision and post evaluation;
- Ensure that Project Completion Reports specifically identify gender gaps and reflect gender related project success and learning experience;
- Prepare and submit yearly reports on progress made in mainstreaming gender issues into the Bank’s operations;
- Coordinate with Gender, Women and Civil Society on issues related to gender policy, capacity building and interagency collaboration;
- Contribute to research and studies relevant to gender policy development and implementation and/or contribute to gender sensitization and skill building activities.
- Follow-up on the implementation of the Bank’s Gender Strategy at the level of the water and sanitation projects
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience:
- A minimum of Master’s degree in Gender Studies, Economics, Rural Development, Social Development, Social Studies or related areas;
- A minimum of seven (7) years of professional experience in Gender analysis, research and advocacy skills, conducting gender impact assessments and/or designing/implementing gender and development projects;
- Demonstrable understanding of regional social issues, analysis and policy formulation; knowledge of the practices of major bilateral and multilateral partner development agencies in African countries is a must.
- Ability to work independently and be creative and innovative;
- Integrity and ability to work in teams;
- Good listener with demonstrated ability to present and win support for ideas as well as make effective and timely decisions;
- Ability to manage multiple, simultaneous and shifting demands/priorities under tight deadlines and coordinate the work of others;
- Demonstrated leadership effectiveness and ability to achieve defined objectives in international multicultural contexts
- Knowledge of the North Africa Region is desirable
- Client orientation to understand, and when appropriate, anticipate client needs, to ensure the clients receive the best possible service from the Bank.
- Ability to work in teams; good interpersonal, communication and project management skills; resourcefulness, attention to details and client and result orientation;
- Dynamic, achievement-focused professional; high degree of personal commitment; proven coordination and analytical skills;
- Competence in the use of the Bank’s standard software applications; and
- Ability to communicate and write effectively in English and/or French with good working knowledge of the other language.
Application Closing Date
2nd December, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- This position is classified international status and attracts international terms and conditions of employment.
- Should you encounter technical difficulties in submitting your application, please send an email with a precise description of the issue and/or a screenshot showing the problem to: HR Direct HRDirect@AFDB.ORG
- To apply for this position, you need to be national of one of AfDB member countries.
- Applicants who fully meet the Bank’s requirements and are considered for interview will be contacted. Only online applications submitted with a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae (CV) and copies of the required degrees will be considered. The President, AfDB, reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level. The African Development Bank is an equal opportunities employer. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- The African Development Bank Group (AfDB) does not ask for payments of any kind from applicants throughout the recruitment process (job application, CV review, interview meeting, and final processing of applications). In addition, the Bank does not request information on applicants’ bank accounts. The African Development Bank Group declines all responsibility for the fraudulent publications of job offers in its name or, in general, for the fraudulent use of its name in any way whatsoever.