The University of Pretoria is set to hold a scholarship program in Master’s in Sexual and Reproductive Rights in Africa. The application form is now available to the public.
The Masters in Sexual & Reproductive Rights in Africa is a two-year programme and is offered as a blended learning course comprising of online interaction and residential block-weeks in Pretoria. Two contact sessions will be scheduled every year (four contact sessions over the period of two years).
This is an opportunity for those interested in broadening their knowledge in the field of Law/Philosophy. It would also be a way of touring around the city of Pretoria where you get to see the beauty of nature like the purple blossom-bedecked trees, the cool atmosphere(of quietness) and can also get to know more about her history.
Interested persons should do well to read and carefully take note of the requirements and apply if eligible. Don’t forget that this scholarship is available for only 15 African citizens…you could be a lucky candidate.
- NAENG Travel Fellowship Grant.
- ACU Engineering Fellowship.
- ALC Peace, Security And Development Fellowship.
- WISE Accelerator Program.
- Interswitch SPAK National Science Competition.
- ACU Accountancy Fellowship.
Goals Of The Programme:
The LLM/MPhil (Sexual & Reproductive Rights in Africa) has short-term as well as long-term goals. In the short-term, it aims to secure the following goals:
- to equip the learner with knowledge and understanding of sexual and reproductive health and rights from domestic, regional and global international perspectives
- to equip the learner with research skills in sexual and reproductive health and rights
- to equip the learner with advocacy skills for promoting sexual and reproductive health and rights
- to equip the learner with practical skills for securing the realization of sexual and reproductive health and rights
The goals of the Master’s programme go beyond the mere enrichment of the learner. In the long-term, the LLM/MPhil Programme should yield to individuals, and communities in African region and beyond, tangible social benefits, including:
- grooming of leaders with a capacity to influence the social transformation of societies
- raising of public awareness about sexual and reproductive health and rights
- increasing the public understanding of sexual and reproductive health and rights
- enhancing the capacity of groups, networks or organisations that promote sexual and reproductive health and rights and related rights, including the rights of women and sexual minorities
- advancing the reproductive and sexual health and rights of individuals and communities
- combating discrimination and stigma surrounding sexual and reproductive health and rights
- influencing interventions in sexual and reproductive health and rights national and regional levels
- influencing policy-making in sexual and reproductive health and rights at the national and regional levels
University of Pretoria Master’s in Sexual and Reproductive Rights in Africa Scholarships Eligibility.
- The LLM degree is open to individuals with a LLB degree or equivalent.
- The MPhil degree is open to non-lawyers with at least an honours degree in an academic discipline relevant to sexual and reproductive rights in AfricaOR any other qualification in an academic discipline relevant to sexual and reproductive rights in Africa that allows admission to a master’s programme at the institution where the undergraduate qualification was obtained. If that qualificatio has duration of less than 4 years, substantial proven practical or professional experience in sexual and reproductive rights in Africa, subject to the discretion of the Dean, is further required.
Applicants must have excellent academic credentials and demonstrate human rights experience or interest. A maximum of fifteen students will be accepted for the 2018 academic year.
How to Apply for University of Pretoria Master’s in Sexual and Reproductive Rights in Africa Scholarships.
- Click here to apply online (please note – you must create an account on the Submittable platform before you can apply)
Course duration (two years): 2020 intake: January 2020 – December 2021
Application deadline: 30th June, 2019.
This is a selection course and applications must be submitted before 30th June, 2019to be admitted to the 2020 academic year.
Scholarships: UP TO 15 FULL SCHOLARSHIPS ARE AVAILABLE FOR AFRICAN CITIZENS.